Looking Back: Highlights of 2015

Kayla Lichtman, Writer/Editor

By now, with the first few weeks of January underway, we have comfortably ushered in the new year. 2016 promises presidential elections, new celebrities, upcoming sports teams, and fresh opportunities. With all this anticipation for the upcoming possibilities, however, it is also important to look back on the accomplishments of 2015. So, without further ado, here are some highlights of 2015:

soccer1. The US women’s national soccer team takes gold.

Ever since the 1999 world cup team took gold, the US women’s national team has been looking for a repeat trophy. Well, this year, they finally got it. Led by hat-trick scorer Carly Lloyd, the women’s team beat Japan 5-2. With four goals before the twenty-minute mark, the US made the win seem ridiculously easy. The win was especially sweet as it was followed by Carly Lloyd winning the golden ball and goalie Hope Solo receiving the Golden Glove.

horse2. American Pharoah wins the Triple Crown.

This past June, American Pharoah joined the ranks of 11 other Triple Crowners by taking home the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes. Ridden by jockey Victor Espinoza – who reaches only 5’2”! – American Pharoah became the first Triple Crown winner in 37 years.

white house3. The Supreme Court legalizes gay marriage

In a win for many across the United States, and even symbolically across the world, the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage this past June. With a 5-4 ruling, and Justice Kennedy pushing the last vote, all 50 states now must recognize gay marriage as constitutional. The white house celebrated by flashing rainbow colored lights across the façade of the building and thousands looked on in support.

jen4. Jennifer Lawrence takes on… just about everything

There was more going on in 2015 than just world events. Whether you love her or hate her, Jennifer Lawrence certainly shined this past year. Staring in the world-renowned finale of the “Hunger Games” trilogy, her newest premier “Joy”, and the upcoming 2016 movie, Marvel’s “X-Men: Apocalypse,” J-Law (somehow) became even more popular. She also topped Forbes’ list as the highest paid actress, making a staggering $52 million. Whatever it was she was doing, we look to see more of it this year!

star wars5. Star Wars (no other explanation needed)

Rounding off the year, and ending the 32-year gap between the previous film, “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” took the world by storm this December. The seventh in the (admittedly oddly numbered) series, the movie stars Daisy Ridley (Rey), who is joined by John Boyega (Finn). Together, the two take on a new enemy and discover the force for themselves. Of course, the enterprise also brings back old favorites such as Harrison Ford (Han Solo) and Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia). With fans pouring into the theaters, the movie broke box office records in its opening weekend – a hit all around for director J.J. Abrams!