Committing Oneself to a Common Goal – Volleyball Champs

Gregory Raymond

Gregory Raymond

Kayla Lichtman, Editor

B37Y9443 standard2For most King sports, fall season has been over for  two weeks, but the girls varsity volleyball team is just wrapping up. Our school website gives the definition of what it means to be an athlete at King. It describes that taking on the role means “being a member of a team, committing oneself to a common goal, and giving 100% all of the time.” There is no better way to describe the group of girls that set foot on the courts this year. They finish with not one, but two titles: FAA champions and New England champions. Not only that, but the titles come with another record breaker – a 20 and 0 winning streak. Their commitment to each other and a love of the game made this all possible. This will be the last season, made especially memorable, for seniors Ryan Correa, Idalis Figueroa, Jenna Della Jacono, Kayonne Markes, and Alex Rabassa.

The week prior to the New England championship, the girls matched up against Convent of the Sacred Heart for a 3-0 win, stealing the FAA title. This is reminiscent of last years’ season, when the girls won the same championship. What makes this year different, however, is the week that followed. On Wednesday, the girls beat Hamden Hall in the quarters, on Saturday they beat GFA in the semis, and for the big finale, they played Cheshire Academy. Last year’s team did not win the New England championship, and this year they were determined to take the title for their own.

Fans poured into the US gym in one with some of the most abundant school spirit seen yet. Students, teachers, and parents alike came carrying signs and cheers. After each point, our side of the gym erupted in chants of “she’s our junior,” (referring to Cara Shattan) or “lets go Vikings!” The girls played consistently, moving from point to point, and set to set, ending with a 3-0 win that had the fans mobbing the gym floor.

A few weeks ago, King held its annual sports awards for the fall season. In going up to talk about the team, head coach Mr. Tran made some profound statements. “This is the most decorated team to walk out King,” he reflected. This was before even knowing if the girls would win the New England championships! He also remarked that a year ago, he had told the upper class men that the future of the team would be coming, and they would need to be prepared. “The future is now,” he joked, “so I hope you’re ready.” Although is was said in jest, it is also true. Next season, the juniors will become the leaders, and the underclassmen will fill out and support the team. No matter the losses, the girls teams is sure to work just as hard and want the win just as much next year. But, that’s for a later time. For now, congrats girls volleyball, enjoy your season!