Seniors dominate on and off the stage for ‘Twelfth Night’

Connor Howe, Reporter

DSC_9097small DSC_9072small

Every fall, a small fraction of the Upper School student body wows their audiences with their production of the fall play. Although the cast is normally a small group of around a dozen kids, they never cease to give an incredible performance. One teacher referred to last year’s production of The Memo as an “unforgettable” experience. Students said it was the “funniest” play they’ve seen in their time at King.  This year, the play was Twelfth Night, or What You Will by William Shakespeare. This famous comedy tells the story of twins who are separated at sea and both coincidentally end up in the same place. The play unfolds around the events that transpire between them.

This play was one of the best in the last few years, and even more notable is the wonderful way in which the cast performed a very challenging Shakespearean play.  As Mr. Silence said we “had some help from the Beach Boys.” The classic songs of the beloved band played throughout the performance and brought a whole level of modernization to the play.

One of the leads, Molly Eagleton ’16 claimed it was “one of the best productions” in all of her time at King. Most of the cast agreed that the entire group bonded and grew to be very close friends and are sad to see this experience come to a close. Many of them will participate in the US spring musical Sweeney Todd which begins rehearsal Thanksgiving week.

Many students attended the performances, as they know the play, unlike the musical, often does not generate a full house. Countless students came to support their peers and it really helped to rally and motivate the cast to give their best performance and leave everything out on the stage. Paige Deschapelles ’16 said she loved the play “because it was the basis for She’s the Man” which is one of her favorite movies. Many other students also enjoyed the play because they loved seeing their friends express their theatrical talents.

In addition to a larger and livelier audience this year, it’s also notable because there were a lot of seniors who participated in the play. Seniors dominated both the cast and the crew of this production and the traditional senior rose ceremony after the Saturday night show took longer than it had in years. Many of the underclassmen gave wonderful speeches and brought several seniors to tears.

Overall, Twelfth Night was a wonderful production with a vibrant and tight-knit cast that worked for weeks to put on an incredible production.  Also, it created a lasting memory for seniors who participated in their last Fall play at King.