Summer Trips Provided Exciting Opportunities

Kayla Lichtman, Editor

1 3 2

With a month of school setting in, memories of this summer are beginning to fade away. However, King students had summer breaks worth recounting, especially those who went on school facilitated summer trips. Students were presented three equally exciting opportunities: visit Greece, and experience perpetual sunshine and deep history, go to Spain, and see their Spanish friends, or explore France, with its rich culture of art and food. Provided with three amazing options, students couldn’t go wrong in picking any one in particular!The Greece trip, am eleven day-long experience led by history teachers Mr. Galanopoulos (who also happens to be a proud Greek!), and Mr. Lear-Nickum, along with Mr. and Mrs. Parker, was a highlight for all. The trip, which took students to Athens, Delphi, Crete and Olympia, was filled with fresh food, beautiful architecture, and long (and sometimes harrowing) bus rides through the mountains prone to open-mic style guitar jams. Students were able to reflect on the history of the country and experience the ancient architecture that lends Greece its unique culture. In the trip blog, Mr. G states that students were, “focused and interested, eager to learn, intrigued by the stories, and creatively reflecting on what they saw.” One of the highlights for students was getting to run the 100-meter dash at the original site of the Olympics. Winner, Junior Cara Shattan, received a laurel wreath crown, similar to those of ancient times. Aside from athletic activities, students found the architecture and history components to be fascinating. Junior Richard Jove reflects that he “got to live the history of ancient Greece that I learned about in Mr. G’s class.” Overall, a trip filled with exciting activities matched with the opportunity to reflect on democracy and ancient history.

The Spanish trip consisted of two parts: first, students toured parts of Spain such as Granada, Madrid, and Seville, and then they were off to visit their host families in Alicante – a city close to the heart of trip leader Señor Gracia. Traveling around Spain, students got the opportunity to try new Spanish foods such as paella. Good food was matched by spectacular views of sandy beaches and historical churches. The highlight for the students seemed to be in reconnecting with their Spanish families. Junior Spencer Gold reflects that although getting to Alicante came with a “brutal four hour bus ride,” it was all worth it to be greeted with “hugs, kisses, and many excited faces.” The host families had all sorts of fun activities and sites for their students planned. All in all, an exciting trip!

The French students, led by Mr. Chosson, Mrs. Haymann and Mrs. Nichols, experienced the best of France during their stay. Students visited the culturally famous Cathedral of Notre Dame, Chateau D’lf and the Louvre museum. They also spent time rock climbing, and zip lining, as well as bowling and horseback riding with their host families. Along with these opportunities, students also interacted with French students. Mr. Chosson, reported that the King students delivered “presentations about King, their community and New England to several class in the school” and a highlight was participating in a theater workshop where KING students joined with French students to enact a skit. Overall, a fun, activity packed trip!

Although summer is receding in our memories, hopefully these experiences will stay fresh in students’ minds. With luck, they will recount the variety of juicy steaks and chicken in Greece, the beautiful beaches in Spain, and the interactions with foreign students in France. The summer of 2015 was certainly an exciting one, and with these experiences behind them, it is time for students to take on the school year!