King Students Bound for Iceland

Kayla Lichtman, Editor

gsls-iceland-extendedThis year, the King Global Education program is offering an exciting new program – a trip to Iceland. The trip, involving 22 juniors and seniors, will take the upper schoolers to the Iceland Global Student Leadership Summit during the upcoming March break. The summit focuses on modern day environmental problems and solutions by bringing together high school students across the globe with fresh ideas.

Led by Mr. Barros and Mr. Chosson, King is bringing something special to the table. All the participants have been split into teams of three, which will then focus on a specific category of environmentalism. The categories include: solar PV, solar thermal, wind, fuel cells, biomass, geothermal, and kinetic energy. What is really exciting is that the research on these topics goes deeper than superficial reports. Students have already done thorough analysis of the markets for their products – both local and abroad -, searches of the scientific application, and have put in a lot of thought as to where their research can be applied to the school. After the period of research, students are now sending out Requests for Proposals (RFP’s) to local business. This phase includes emailing businesses and talking to companies over the phone – all good practice for the real world! The next stage will be to have discourse with these companies and then, if it is feasible, to use their product on the King campus.

Throughout the process, students will take on important leadership roles and understand the complexities of talking to outside businesses. Not only that, but they will gain invaluable knowledge. “I am discovering more about sustainability than I have ever known before. I realize that the information I learn now and in the coming months can help me prepare to capitalize on the moment when the world’s fossil fuel resources reach new lows,” said junior Richard Jove.

This trip is more than just an opportunity to showcase students’ new found environmental knowledge. Leading up to the summit, students will tour the country and be exposed to Iceland’s environmental works and wonders. Among other activities, students will get the chance to see the breathtaking Aurora Borealis (the northern lights) and the country’s famous hot springs. Overall, it will be an amazing opportunity!