Fall Varsity Athletics in Full Swing

Gregory Raymond

Gregory Raymond

Brandon Ross, Writer

All the events during spirit week lead up to one big day: Homecoming 2015. It’s the day when all students, teachers, and alumni gather to celebrate King and its athletics through an avenue that most everyone enjoys. Here at The Standard, we provided a preview of all the Varsity athletic games and what a win would mean to the respective teams:

Cross Country (Co-ed)

A40C8860Cross Country is not the most glamorous sport, but an exciting one nonetheless. Headlined by Junior captains Jonathan Richter and Richard Jové, the team has seen a plethora of success from its runners. This is evident by last Saturday’s meet at Greens Farms Academy, in which 4 Viking runners finished in the top five in their respective gender’s race, including a first place girl’s finish for Sophomore Caroline Strom. The Vikings look to continue their success at their Wednesday meet in Rye, NY and more importantly on Saturday vs. Harvey and GFA.

Girls Soccer:

A40C0555small2The Girls’ Soccer team has had a tough billing to live up to this season. After losing the core of their team to graduation, they have started their season 2-7-1. However, Senior captain Katie Meyer has seen progress. “We participate in a tough league,” Meyer said. “However, we have worked together to move the ball around.” The girls lost a tight game vs. GFA last Saturday, but they know what they need to do to win this time around. “We need to come ready to play”, Meyer said. “We need to become more offensive minded and look for loopholes in their defense. Under the guidance of Meyer and captains Paige Deschapelles and Mackenzie Allen, they look to inch closer to making the FAA playoffs with a win on Saturday.

Boys Soccer:

A40C0132small2Boys’ Soccer is looking to gain some momentum heading into FAAs as the regular season comes to an end. Even though they haven’t always been winning, as their record stands at 2-6-1, Senior captain Danny Roca says the team has exceeded expectations. “This year, the team has surprised everyone with how we have been playing,” Danny said. Although we haven’t always gotten the W, the way we connect on the field is incredible and at a very high level.” Their record has also not stunted their confidence. “I speak for my whole team when I say that the goal is to win the FAA trophy at the end of the season” Roca boasted about the team’s goal for the season. Under the leadership of Roca and Seniors Felipe Leite and Matt McDermott, they look to take down opponent Harvey on Saturday.

Volleyball:

AZ1Y0656small2Volleyball is off to an incredible start this season. Coming off a season in which they won an FAA Championship and reached the New England Semi-Finals, Volleyball has started the season 11-0, including a nail biting 3-2 win over powerhouse Cheshire Academy. Led by captains Kayonne Markes, Idalis Figueroa, and Alex Rabassa, the Vikings have a strong team. “Every member of our team brings something to the table,” captain Idalis Figueroa said. “We have to thank Coach Tran for all of our success.” When asked why they’ve been so successful, the answer was simple. “We attribute all of our success to our team chemistry, skills, and work ethic.” They will look to keep up their success and stay undefeated on in their homecoming matchup vs. GFA.

Field Hockey:

A40C4556small2Field Hockey is another team that lost a large core of their roster to graduation, including goalie Grace Linnan, who is currently playing at Bowdoin, and Katie Morris, who is playing at Union. However, they have maintained a healthy 5-5 record with key league wins against the likes of St. Luke’s, Hamden Hall, and Masters. They look to get another league victory when they face off against Greens Farms Academy on Saturday.

Football:

The B37Y9177small2Vikings football team is off to a solid start to their 2015 campaign. After a 2014 season, which led to them being FAA co-champions, they wasted no time putting wins on the board. The football team started the season 3-0 under the leadership of Senior captains Dylan McDermott, Paul Spadaccini, and Andrew Mercein. “Even though we’re a fairly young team, this year has been pretty positive” captain Dylan McDermid said. “A lot of our starters are new to varsity, so getting the game experience will be crucial as the season goes on.” After losing to powerhouses Kingswood-Oxford and Hamden Hall in the last two weeks, McDermid says the goal is to not lose again and finish the season 6-2. The Vikings look to start this process with a win against Fieldston on Saturday.